Whale Drown Bruins in 6-3 Victory


March 8, 2012; Boston, Massachusetts, USA; Boston Bruins right wing Jordan Caron (38) during the third period against the Buffalo Sabres at TD Banknorth Garden. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-US PRESSWIRE

Last night the Providence Bruins took on the Connecticut Whale at the XL Center for Haunted Hockey Night, marking their first match up of the season. The end result was 6-3 victory for the Whale.  It didn’t take long for the scoring to get underway as the Bruins struck first with Jamie Tardif lighting the lamp just 2:06 into the first period.  The goal seemed to ignite something on both sides, with the physicality increasing and Bruin Bobby Robins and Whale Michael Haley squaring off both being dealt matching major penalties.  While Robins was hoping to keep the momentum rolling for Providence, it was the Whale that took the boost and capitalized. Ryan Bourque, younger brother of Bruins’ Chris Bourque, tallied his second goal of the season to tie the game at one.  Around the fifteen minute mark Bourque would try to net his second of the night, but Mike Hutchinson, appearing in his first game of the season, got a piece and slowed it down just enough to grab it before crossing over the goal line. Both teams traded opportunities back and forth but were unable to convert and headed into the second period tied at one a piece.

As the puck dropped to begin the second period, the Whale sported an entirely new flame displaying a highly energetic team with drive and determination fit for the playoffs.  They got on the board just 1:26 into the period with Blake Parlett snapping a shot from the point that sailed wide. However, Chad Kolarik happened to be in the right spot at the right time and was able to bang the puck in from around the back of the net to give the Whale their first lead of the game. The scoring wouldn’t stop there as they posted two more  before the Bruins would decide to retire Hutchinson and put the faith into Nicklas Svedberg.  The Whale were able to put one more past Svedberg for the period, while Jordan Caron tallied one for Providence, ending the second period with a score of 5-2 in favor of the Whale.

Some of the Whale edge seemed to be lost as they came out a little slower than they did in the second frame and the Providence Bruins jumped on the opportunity.  Three minutes in Max Sauve ripped a shot past Talbot on the short side, marking Providence’s second power-play goal of the night.  At 8:07  Kris Newbury  would net an unassisted goal on a misplay by Svedberg sealing the game for the Whale.

The next game for Providence is Friday, November 2 against the Worcester Sharks at 7pm ET.

Game Notes…

Shots on Goal:  Providence 12-12-16-40.

Connecticut 6-9-8-23.

Power Play Opportunities:  Providence 2 / 6; Connecticut 1 / 2

Goalies:  Providence, Hutchinson 0-3-0 (13 shots-9 saves); Svedberg 2-1-0 (10 shots-8 saves)

Connecticut, Talbot 2-0-0 (40 shots-37 saves)

Scratches:  Providence; Ryan Button, Jared Knight, Trent Whitfield and Zach Trotman

Connecticut; Dylan McIlrath, Jyri Niemi, Sebastian Piche, Jason Wilson and Kelsey Tessier

Three Stars of the Game:

1.  Kris Newbury; 1G, 2A (Connecticut)
2. Chris Kreider ; 1G, 1A (Connecticut)
3. Logan Pyett ; 1G, 1A (Connecticut)