One team is hoping to end a four-game losing streak; the other looks to extend its winning streak to four games tonight. The fourth place Rochester Americans visit the winless Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins tonight in one of ten games on the American Hockey League schedule.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Rochester Americans have scored 15 goals in the past three games, all wins. The team is 4-2 in six games this season with 23 GF and 22 GA. The Americans last game was played against the Hamilton Bulldogs in Buffalo, NY in front of nearly 11,000 fans. Tonight’s game is the first of consecutive road games for the Amerks, who will visit the Phantoms on Saturday.
- Did you know: Americans goaltender David Leggio has never faced the Penguins in regular season action; both times the teams met last season, now-in-Europe Drew MacIntyre was in net for the Rochester team. When Leggio was a member of the Portland Pirates in the season prior to that, the team did not play Wilkes-Barre.
- Meanwhile, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins are 0-4 this season and are tied for last in the league with just six goals-for. The Penguins haven’t played since Sunday, when they hosted the Syracuse Crunch, dropping the game 3-1. Tonight’s game is the final of a three-game homestand for the Penguins.
LEADING THE CHARGE FOR ROCHESTER…
- Goals: Marcus Foligno (5)
- Assists: Cody Hodgson (8)
- Points: Marcus Foligno and Cody Hodgson (9)
- Plus/Minus: Matt Mackenzie (+3)
- Penalty Minutes: Nick Tarnasky (25)
- Shots: T.J. Brennan (20)
LEADING THE CHARGE FOR WBS…
- Goals: Philippe Dupuis (2)
- Assists: Beau Bennett, Brian Dumoulin, Benn Ferriero (2)
- Points: Dupuis, Bennett, Dumoulin, Ferriero & Trevor Smith (2)
- Plus/Minus: Zach Sill (+1)
- Penalty Minutes: Joe Morrow (15)
- Shots: Eric Tangradi (16)
A LOOK BACK…
- The teams faced each other twice last season, with the Penguins winning both matchups.
- October 13, 2011: 5-1 Penguins win @ Rochester; Strait, McDonald, Lerg, Tangradi, Dimitrakos score for WBS with Foligno notching the lone goal for the Americans. The teams combined for no goals on 8 power play opportunities. The Penguins had 21 shots, while Rochester got 30 and WBS goaltender Brad Thiessen stopped all but one.
- January 6, 2012: 4-3 Penguins shootout win in Wilkes-Barre. Williams, Grant and Tangradi scored for WBS in regulation, while Whitmore, Varone and Legault tallied for Rochester. Teams combined for 63 shots and 24 penalty minutes. In the shootout, Paul Szczechura and Jon Parker scored for Rochester, while Geoff Walker, Bryan Lerg and Eric Tangradi scored to win it for the Penguins.
A LOOK AHEAD…
- The teams have already faced each other once this season in a pre-season game played at Monroe Community College. They’ll play once more when the Americans host the Penguins on January 25.